WASHINGTON/TEHRAN: US President Donald Trump has escalated his rhetoric over the Strait of Hormuz, posting a map on Truth Social that labelled the strategic waterway as “NEW U.S. Territory” as Iran said it would remain closed until Washington meets commitments Tehran says were agreed under an interim deal.
Trump has previously suggested declaring the Strait of Hormuz US territory. On Monday, he said the United States had “total control” of the waterway through its blockade and supported the idea of formally declaring it US territory.
Iranian Parliament Speaker and negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the strait would remain closed until the United States fulfilled commitments that Tehran says were included in a June memorandum of understanding.
According to media reports, Iran is seeking the lifting of the US naval blockade, removal of oil sanctions and the unfreezing of Iranian assets held overseas. Washington has disputed Tehran’s interpretation of the agreement.
The Strait of Hormuz, located between Iran and Oman, connects the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and is a major route for global energy shipments. Any prolonged disruption could affect oil supplies and international energy markets.
Tensions increased further on Tuesday after the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations agency reported that an “unknown projectile” struck a vessel travelling through the strait. The impact damaged the engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, while other crew members were assisted by the Omani Coast Guard.
The incident remained under investigation, with no immediate claim of responsibility reported. The dispute has further heightened concerns over maritime security and freedom of navigation in the Gulf.



